Home News Teen who drew swastikas won’t enlist in Marines, recruiter now subjected to...

Teen who drew swastikas won’t enlist in Marines, recruiter now subjected to command inquiry

99
0
SHARE
Recruits get ready to meet boot camp drill instructors marine corps usmc
New recruits of Platoon 1016, Charlie Company, 1st Recruit Training Battalion, await the arrival of their drill instructors inside their barracks Jan. 11, 2014, on Parris Island, S.C. (Photo by Cpl. Octavia Davis)

Officials in the Marine Corps have announced that the New Jersey teen whose case was being thrown out for drawing swastikas in the bathroom if he joined the Corps, will not be allowed to move forward, according to the Marine Corps Times.

The recruiter who talked to the judge on behalf of 18-year-old Dean Kaye, is now facing a command inquiry of her own, as recruiters are not allowed to intervene in a court case on behalf of an applicant.

Maj. Garron Garn told the Times, “A recruiter can’t even go to a court case like that, and that … gets taught at recruiter school and it’s reinforced when they check into their recruiting stations.” He elaborated in the news piece, “The only time that they can go to a courthouse is when they are picking up court documents. Any type of direct or indirect influence on a case like that is strictly prohibited.”

Earlier this week, a judge dismissed a criminal mischief charge against a former Becton Regional High School student accused of drawing in a bathroom at the school, with the court requiring that the youth later provide proof that he has enlisted in the U.S. Corps.

Judge George Savino, sitting in East Rutherford Municipal Court, dismissed the charge against Dean Kaye, 18, of Carlstadt. But the judge told the teenager he would have to send the court a letter verifying that he had, in fact, enlisted in the military.

At a May hearing, Kaye entered a not-guilty plea to criminal mischief, an accusation he faced when Becton officials on April 27 found two of the Nazi symbols inside a restroom, with one drawn on the wall and the other carved into the wall of one of the stalls, borough police said. After an investigation, Kaye was charged in the incident.

At his first court hearing, Kaye told Savino that he planned to join the after he graduated from Becton in June. The judge told Kaye to return to court on June 22, Wednesday, and to bring documents showing that he was enlisting.

At Wednesday’s proceeding a recruiter, a sergeant who didn’t identify herself by name, told Savino that Kaye had applied to enlist in the service. But she said that Kaye could not be accepted if he had an outstanding charge pending against him.

“I’m prepared to dismiss it,” Savino told her. And then he did, telling Kaye that the court would need the letter.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here