Home News Taliban attack police headquarters after hospital airstrike

Taliban attack police headquarters after hospital airstrike

Afghanistan’s security forces inspect the site of a U.S. airstrike, in Kunduz city, north of Kabul, Afghanistan. (AP Photos)

The deadly air strike that hit a hospital in the Afghan provincial capital of Kunduz was a mistake, the American commander of international forces in Afghanistan said.

US Army General John Campbell said in testimony on Tuesday to the Senate Armed Services Committee that the decision to carry out the strike twas made within the US chain of command.

“To be clear, the decision to provide aerial fires was a US decision made within the US chain of command,” US Army General John Campbell said in testimony on Tuesday to the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“A hospital was mistakenly struck. We would never intentionally target a protected medical facility.”

Meanwhile, fighting erupted in the embattled city of Kunduz after the Taliban attacked a police headquarters overnight and officials warned that food and other emergency aid could not get through to the city.

on Tuesday underscored the weak hold authorities have on Kunduz, a strategic city whose brief fall to the Taliban last week was an embarrassing blow to President Ashraf Ghani.

Al Jazeera’s Qaiz Azimy, reporting from Kunduz, said they could hear gunfire and artillery almost every second in the city.

“Strong fighting is going on and it has not stopped. We could hear gunfire and artillery almost every second.

“Afghan security forces are struggling to get control of the city – they are fighting the Taliban on almost every single street in Kunduz.


“I talked to an Afghan security official here in Kunduz and he told us that the reason they are going so slow is because they are facing lack of leadership and coordination. Also that the Taliban are hiding in residential areas and it is hard to go after them because they(Afghan forces) are trying to avoid civilian casualties,” Azimy said.

The Afghan government has also been criticised for ignoring warnings earlier of Taliban threats to the city.

Battles have raged around Kunduz for the last nine days as government forces, backed by US air strikes, have tried to drive out Taliban fighters.

The Taliban managed to overrun and hold Kunduz for three days last week, until government forces launched a counter-offensive on Thursday.Its brief capture was one of the Talibans’ biggest victories.

Overnight, several Taliban fighters managed to re-enter the city center and attack Kunduz police headquarters and other government buildings, said Sarwar Hussaini, the spokesman for the provincial police chief.

By Tuesday morning, some gunmen had pushed their way close to the main city square. “Fighting is also going on with the Taliban near the Ghazanfar Bank, close to main square,” Hussaini said.

Kunduz residents reported hit-and-run attacks by the Taliban, with the group making incursions into the city center from far-flung rural areas, engaging troops, then retreating again.


Aslim Sayas, a deputy head of the Afghan disaster management, said it was still too dangerous and unpredictable for supplies to be trucked into Kunduz. Instead, he said authorities were helping the population that has fled from Kunduz.

“Right now we are providing food and non-food items to refugees and displaced people in Takhar, Badakhshan and Balkh,” he said, referring to northern provinces to the east and west of Kunduz.

US air strike on hospital

Moreover, a bombing early on Saturday of a hospital in Kunduz belonging to Doctors Without Borders – in which at least 22 people were killed – has raised wider questions as to the circumstances that led to the prominent medical charity being hit in an apparent US air strike.

Medicines, too, have not been delivered to hospitals, and the air strike on the Doctors Without Borders trauma center had closed an essential medical facility in the war-torn city.

The Ministry of Public Health issued a statement calling for “a thorough, impartial investigation by an independent enquiry team” into the Saturday bombing of the hospital.

Circumstances remain unclear, and the Afghan government and US military have launched investigations into the incident that left 22 people dead.

The ministry said the attack had jeopardized “vital health, medical and surgical work of international and local health personnel” working in Afghanistan.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here