Four people were killed and 18 wounded in a suicide at Bagram Airbase outside Kabul early Saturday.
Bagram base is the largest U.S base in the country.
Abdul Shokor Qoudosi, Bagram district governor, confirmed the incident and said a suicide bomber entered the airbase and then detonated his suicide vest among the workers, who were getting ready to start work.
Resolute Support confirmed there had been an incident. They said in a statement: “We can confirm that there was an explosion at Bagram Airfield this morning just after 5:30am. There have been casualties.”
Afghan security officials have not yet commented on the incident.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the explosion and said they had been planning the attack for four months.
In a later statement, Resolute Support said: “To the family and friends of those who lost their lives today, we share your loss and our thoughts are with you. We offer you our deepest condolences.”
“For the family and friends of those wounded in today’s attack, let me assure you they are receiving the best care possible,” Said General John W. Nicholson, U.S Army, Commander of Resolute Support.
He went on to say: “To those who target Coalition forces, ANDSF and Afghan civilians, Resolute Support and USFOR-A will continue to pursue our train, advise and assist mission to help our partners create a better .”