Our children are the nation’s unsung heroes. There’s a saying that we volunteered when we married our military loves, but our kids were drafted. Operation Homefront has a fantastic program to recognize our kids who give so much. The Military Child of the Year® Award recognizes outstanding military children who demonstrate resiliency, leadership and achievement.
These are the young heroes of their grade, school, town, or city. This award recognizes military children who have demonstrated themselves as exceptional citizens while facing the challenges of military family life. The average Military Child of the Year® Award Nominee *:
- Has moved five times or more.
- Experienced at least one parent deploy for 18 months or more.
- Volunteered with service groups an average of 75 hours during the year.
- 17% have a sibling in the Exceptional Family Member Program.
- Maintained above average grades, often with honors.
- Excelled in sports, theatre and/or music.
- Held leadership positions in school and community groups.
Nominations will close on December 14, 2013.
The fifth annual award will be presented April 10, 2014 at the Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City. In addition to the trip to our nation’s capital, recipients are awarded a laptop computer and a $5,000 cash prize.