Nominations are now being accepted for the Marine of the Year award. Anyone is welcome to nominate a Marine they feel is deserving on the award: family members, former and current military commanders, peers, and subordinates. Nominations are now open through March 31, 2017.
Last year’s Marine of the Year recipient was Marine Gunnery Sgt. Brian Downing, who achieved the rank of gunny in just 10 years and is close to earning his Master’s degree. He demonstrated further leadership and community enrichment by volunteering to fix the barracks at Camp Lejeune.
Judging Criteria for Marine of the Year Award
Nominees must be serving in the military (active duty, Guard or Reserve) through August 2017 with exceptional service or achievements occurring between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
Nominees must demonstrate:
- A high level of professionalism
- Concern for fellow service members
- Commitment to community service
Prizes for winning Marine of the Year
The Overall Winner of each branch receives the following:
- A VIP trip to Washington, DC for activities and a formal awards ceremony
- All-expenses paid attendance for 2 (transportation to and from Washington, D.C.; lodging and meals; local transportation)
- Formal awards reception and ceremony on Capitol Hill
- Scholarship award from Kaplan University
- Professional photographs and video of the awards ceremony
- A feature in the Military Times websites, newspapers and on the Military Times Service Members of the Year web site