Home News Family of combat Marine vet wins $8 million for abuse and neglect

Family of combat Marine vet wins $8 million for abuse and neglect

Bartholomew Ryan
The family of an Iraq combat Marine veteran sued Nassau County after the sudden death of their loved one. They alleged Marine veteran Bartholomew Ryan didn’t receive proper care after he was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of drugs.
The jury ordered Armor Correctional Health Services to pay $7 million in punitive damages and awarded $890,000 in compensatory damages against Armor and Nassau County in the civil lawsuit, according to Newsday. “Thankfully, the jury made a point to tell Armor and the county that’s not how you treat our veterans and people,” said Nicholas Warywoda. “Justice is done,” said brother, Thomas.
 The family alleged that Sergeant death followed struggles with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and drug addiction over his Iraq War service, including a groin injury during boot camp, eight months of combat, and four years of military service. The family alleged the death was wrongful as Nassau County and Armor were negligent during the former Marine’s incarceration for driving while under the influence of drugs. Sergeant did not receive appropriate care, despite a screening revealing he was a suicide risk, according to the lawsuit.

An Armor attorney disagreed with the jury saying they did not understand an instruction, unfairly awarding compensatory damages two times for pain and suffering. Mr. Warywoda noted that the jury may have considered pain and suffering from drug withdrawal and from the suicide. U.S. District Court Judge Joanna Seybert ordered both attorneys to submit papers on the issue, according to Newsday.

Sergeant family alleged Armor subjected the former Marine to cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment and negligence for how Armor medical personnel treated him. An oversight agency found an Armor psychiatrist inadequately assessed Sergeant mental health hours before he died. It took 18 hours after his admission for a psychiatrist to see him, according to Mr. Warywoda who said the doctor did not diagnose or prescribe medication for Sergeant mental disorders. He died six hours later.

“Although the firm is saddened by the unnecessary death of Sergeant , Parker Waichman is pleased that justice was served,” said Keith Gitman, Managing Attorney at Parker Waichman. “To be treated in this manner is unacceptable, but that Sergeant fought for our country and was treated this way is appalling.”

Parker Waichman LLP
USMC Life contributed to the article

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here