Home News Carter apologizes to Japan over death of Okinawa woman

Carter apologizes to Japan over death of Okinawa woman

187
0
SHARE
Rina Shimabukuro, an Okinawa resident who had been missing since last month. (Photo: picture of Fuji Television broadcast)
Rina Shimabukuro, an Okinawa resident who had been missing since last month. (Photo: picture of Fuji Television broadcast)

U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter apologized Saturday over the arrest of an American base worker in connection with the death of a local woman which stoked anger among islanders already feeling burdened with the heavy U.S. military presence.

Carter extended “his sincere apologies to the victim’s family and friends” during a telephone conversation with Japanese Defense Minister Gen Nakatani, according to the U.S. Defense Department.

“The United States hopes the perpetrator of this crime will be held accountable under the Japanese legal system,” Carter was quoted as telling Nakatani.

Nakatani told reporters that he protested to Carter, branding the alleged involvement in the suspect, a former Marine, in the incident as “inexcusable.”

The Japanese defense chief also met with Lt. Gen. Lawrence Nicholson, the top commander of U.S. military forces in Okinawa, and demanded that the U.S. military in Okinawa enhance discipline and take measures to prevent similar incidents.

“This is outrageous and unforgivable,” Nakatani said during the meeting at a Defense Ministry office in Okinawa. Nicholson said, “Our heartfelt prayers and condolences are offered to the family.”

Nakatani lodged a similar protest when he summoned Lt. Gen. John Dolan, commander of U.S. forces in Japan, in Tokyo on Thursday.

Kenneth Franklin Shinzato, a 32-year-old former Marine, was arrested Thursday for allegedly dumping the 20-year-old woman’s body and has since admitted to killing her, according to investigative sources, who quoted him as saying he also sexually assaulted the victim.

Shinzato indicated during questioning that he drove around for a few hours looking for a woman to rape, the sources said. His confession and other evidence suggest he attacked the victim near her apartment, they said.

Shinzato also said he strangled and stabbed the woman before putting her body in a suitcase and transporting it in his car, according to the sources.

Coming just days ahead of U.S. President Barack Obama’s trip to Japan next week to attend a Group of Seven summit and visit the atomic-bombed city of Hiroshima, the incident has sent Japanese and U.S. officials scrambling to contain the political fallout.

The minister attended the victim’s funeral later Saturday in Nago, as did Okinawa Gov. Takeshi Onaga and Aiko Shimajiri, a Cabinet minister in charge of Okinawa affairs and a locally elected member of the Diet.

The victim, an office worker from Uruma, went missing after she texted her boyfriend at around 8 p.m. on April 28 to say she was going for a walk. Police later went public about her disappearance, seeking information about her whereabouts.

The police had been questioning Shinzato, who works at U.S. Kadena Air Base, on a voluntary basis since Monday after they identified his car in security camera footage in the area where GPS data from the victim’s smartphone was last logged.

Based on his statement during questioning, the police found the woman’s body in a wooded area in the village of Onna on Thursday and arrested him on suspicion of dumping the body sometime between April 28 and 29.

In New York on Friday, the suspect’s mother, 63-year-old Shirley Gadson, expressed disbelief over her son’s alleged involvement in the Okinawa woman’s death. Speaking to reporters at her apartment, she said she cannot believe her son would commit such a crime.

According to Gadson and an acquaintance interviewed along with her, Shinzato was born in New York, and she raised him as a single mother. He was shy and started avoiding school when he was 11 after being bullied, they said. The acquaintance said Shinzato had never caused trouble to others or been known to be combative.

Calling him “Kenny,” Gadson said she loves her son and wants to go to Japan but cannot.

Separately, she told The Washington Post by telephone that her son served in the between 2007 and 2014, the newspaper reported on its website Friday.

More than 70 years after Japan’s defeat in World War II, Okinawa continues to host the bulk of U.S. military facilities in Japan. Coupled with the heavy U.S. military presence, crimes committed by U.S. service members and nonmilitary personnel in Okinawa have become a constant source of grievances among local people.

The rape of a 12-year-old Okinawa schoolgirl by three U.S. servicemen in 1995, in particular, prompted a wave of public outrage in Okinawa.

==Kyodo

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here