An Oklahoma man has died at the VA prompting four staff members to resign from the southeastern Oklahoma veterans facility.
Maggots were discovered in the man’s wounds when he was alive, says the executive director of the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Myles Deering, but says they were not the cause of his death.
“He did not succumb as a result of the parasites,” Deering said Tuesday. “He succumbed as a result of the sepsis,” according to the Tulsa World.
Deering also indicated that the four employees who quit, a physician’s assistant, the director of nursing and two other nurses, resigned before the termination process could begin.
The patient was 73-year-old veteran Owen Reese Peterson; his case has been reported to the Oklahoma State Department of Health’s district attorney.
Owen Parker, Peterson’s son, says he was dismayed by the treatment of his father.
“During the 21 days I was there … I pled with the medical staff, the senior medical staff, to increase his meds so his bandages could be changed,” Parker said. “I was met with a stonewall for much of that time.”
© 2016 Bright Mountain Media, Inc.
All rights reserved. The content of this webpage may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written consent of Bright Mountain Media, Inc. which may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org